Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Shanghai Revolving Door





One of the biggest ironies of living in Shanghai is how easy it is to make friends and how easy it is to loose friends. Unlike LA, Shanghai is a place where it is very easy to meet people and make friends. I’ve met some really cool folk waiting for a cab, in line at the grocery store, Starbucks, walking on the street…wherever. I think Westerners are drawn to each other here because we are all in the same situation.

On the flip side, this week I had 3 of my closest “buddies” leave. One back to Colorado, one back to San Francisco and another back to Norway. This has been a depressing 2 months because the exodus started in April. Since then I’ve had to say goodbye to about 7 people that I’ve totally bonded with here in China. The bright side is that now I have friends all over the world I can visit.

To mitigate this depressed state I went to play basketball at the local playground with my last remaining friend Cole. Anyway, before Cole got there I was shooting around and this Chinese dude in perfect “Californian English” invites me to play with his friends. Turns out they are all from Newport Beach!

Anyway, I’ve made some new friends but this time I made sure to ask them before I begin “dating”… errr…I mean… hanging out with them how long they will be in town.

2 comments:

Larry said...

Yeah, yeah. Too bad, so sad. Now, let's get back to the fashion story.

richtuzon said...

just read your first post...so well put my friend.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I enjoy your writing. I feel as though I'm discovering a whole new world through your eyes..and understanding a little bit more about you.