Friday, June 6, 2008

The Laundry Index: Wedding Dresses



I love these pictures! I’m bummed that the only camera I had was my camera phone.

The Chinese have recently adopted the concept of a “Western Style Wedding” (I’m going to write more about this on my on going Delicate Sense of History Series) so the idea of buying a wedding dress is new. Currently Brides rent them only for the Big Day and for the Wedding Pictures.

These pictures were taken outside my friend Jeff’s apartment which is next to a Bridal Rental Shop. I guess they have a big weekend planned and had to wash all the dresses. Good times….

4 comments:

richtuzon said...

looks like a line of ghosts. how practical to rent a dress...although seeing them hanging out to dry like this kinda take all the romance out of it doesn't it. how un-special is this.

I like the way the dresses are set against a drab and dreary skyline. makes me sad.

Forgotten Tree House said...

Hey i really like your blog. i live in MD but will soon be moving to LA My family apart from me is all from ShangHai and i actually speak ShangHainese fluently but not so much manderin. Reading through your posts though really brings back memories of times ive spent there. especially the things you said about the clothing lol. I cant really read chinese at all and so a couple years back i was in a restuarant there and i asked my mom what the menu said in perfect shanghainese and the woman behind the counter was like, "what you can't read that simple stuff, what grade are you in?" it was really funny nobody could tell i wasnt a native.

Larry said...

Wonderful stuff, Vic. I see a photo essay book happening in your future. How about a series on cycling in Shanghai.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.