Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Delicate Sense of History -“Scooting” to Enlightenment

Most of us go through this phase of trying to figure out who we are where we are and where we are going. I was told by Mr. Diconti, my 10 grade English teacher that if we could answer those questions we would have a philosophy of our own in which to filter the world. Well being here I’m not so much trying to find out who I am but rather trying to find out who they are. I mean I think I know me and I thought that I was opened minded, but then why can’t I just accept my surroundings as they are. I mean when I’m getting pushed, shoved, yelled at and constantly profiled should just deal with it? It’s their country not mine…right?

Well, I had a break through. It’s been a little over a year but the catalyst to my epiphany was on my little electric scooter. Riding this thing day in and day out I’ve become pretty good at dodging old ladies, rusted bikes with Styrofoam piled high, erratic taxi drivers and huge buses with drivers that are clueless. You know what, there is a method to the madness and I think I’ve figured it out. There are so many elements to the madness that I’m only going to deal with one, which is this Shanghainese concept of spatial relationship. Lesson one: There is none, space I mean! So as a person that optimally functions with a 3 foot radius are him, I have to learn to function with no space. If I can get over that (which I think I have) I think I get it!

Watching cars, buses, pedestrians, bikes and anything else that has moves navigate itself in Shanghai is like watching a ton of marbles being dumped into a maze. Anyway if you tilt that maze the marbles will arrange themselves in the most optimal position to get through a small opening to the next adjacent space. Now imagine a bigger maze and throw in larger rubber balls and even larger soccer balls. As you shift the maze in different directions the balls always go to their optimal position. The only criteria for this all to work are that two or more elements make contact and one gives way.

Now imagine a much bigger maze and throw in buses, cars, scooters, etc.. you see where I’m going with this… once I gave up my 3 foot radius and realized that it’s OK to “bump” someone, a whole new world opened up. I finally understood the ebb and flow of shanghai. Communism and lack of open area has given the 85 lbs old grandma, the 200 lbs electric scooter and the 20 ton bus the same right of way and who ever gets there first simply has to hold their line. If bumped, give way because when you bumped someone else they’ll give way. In some sick convoluted fashion it all works!!

All I had to do to find this out was to “scoot” to enlightenment.

4 comments:

Larry said...

Yes, yes. Well put. I always know this about asian. The way I thought of it is that I have to give up my space when someone is claiming it, and take the space I need when I want it.

FERNIE said...

Life must be a lot better in Shanghai than teaching punk kids @ Brooks.

The time & work has treated you well.

Your favorite student from Brooks.
Fernie. Hope all is well & keep blogging.

-Fernie.a@hotmail

Jennifer Wong, CHT said...

Cool blog. I enjoy reading about your experiences! Love the visuals and images you bring up. I have known that 'spacial' thing about Chinese because of my grandmother, however, it was enlightening to learn that they will actually give in to your pushing! I thought they might stand steady and leave you feeling defeated. So, its just a matter of pushing and being the most pushy!!!LOL!!!

Because of the work I do, your blog also caught me at a different level... when you said "I think I know myself" you are totally right. And with each new experience you have, you get the opportunity to learn more about yourself. Isn't life cool? We never "arrive" at who we are and stay steadfast in that "being". We are fortunate enough to be on this planet and continually grow, stretch and experience change. Change is all there is. You got the opportunity to learn you can "push" - whether as an initiate or a respondent and you got to see what your actions would bring.

Keep blogging my friend! I am inspired now to start my own!

Jennifer

richtuzon said...

so what I'm sensing is that when you get back you will push everyone around and yell at them. I can't wiat.