Friday, October 10, 2008

For Larry (part 1)




This post is dedicated to my friend Larry who has a blog called E A T with Larry.

There are these hot dog stands on the streets of Prague that probably have the best sausage hot dogs I’ve ever had in my life! Maybe the flavor was enhanced a bit because I would have one after a late night of drinking (or afternoon…hey I was on vacation) or in the morning after a wicked hangover. At any rate, they where amazing!

There would be 4 types of dogs on the grill and each time I wanted to try a different one my nose and tummy would always lead me to the spicy sausage (ala Uncle Larry).

The bun was a baguette. This lovely ensemble of flour and yeast was soft and warm from being just freshly baked. The aroma of the bread alone was enough to lift you off your feet and whisk you away into food heaven. The crust was light and flaky and would crumble into wafer like flakes if you held it with the wrong hot dog holding technique. The inside of the bun was dense and doughy and a little sweet. It is the perfect consistency to soak up the wonderful grease and juices of the spicy dog and the perfect sweetness to balance the flavors of the sauerkraut.

Now the coup de grĂ¢ce was the hot dog itself. This amazing concoction of molded pork bits, parts and spices would bring any carnivore to their knees. I mean it was perfection packaged in a thin intestinal lining.

At first bite my canines would penetrate the dog and create a “SNAP”!!!…then all these ineffable flavors would come cascading unto my palette and all over my fingers. The grease and spicy juices would mix with the sourness of the sauerkraut and soak into the baguette to make the perfect food…..I mean what more can you ask for…..mmmm…I know…another Pilsner!

1 comment:

Larry said...

I'm not worthy. I swear I can taste the dogs as I read your blog. You're best, Vic.