Wednesday, April 15, 2009

All kinds of Amazing!




It is spring in Shanghai. The bone chilling wet winter has slowly dissipated and is giving way to longer days and cherry blossoms. I’ve been able to run outdoors more so the humdrum days of training for the Great Wall Marathon on a treadmill are behind me.

This morning was nice. It was a misty morning when I left the apartment. As I hit my stride about 2.5 km (sorry, I’ve been using the metric system now) the sun started to peek through the haze and the early morning wet market was in full swing on Ningbo Lu. As I dodged through the hustle and bustle of the morning market; I had a spring in my stride, my heart rate felt strong, a cool breeze against my skin and the smell of freshly steamed dumplings coursing through my nostrils. I thought to myself “it doesn’t get better than this” then right at that moment my IPOD shuffles to Jack Johnson’s “ Upside Down”….man, this was all kinds of amazing!

I usually carry a camera when I run but this morning I decided not to because it was a longer than usual run. It’s a shame because there were so many photo-ops. Having said that, I’ve attached pictures from this past weekend race. It was an 8km race in the Jinqiao District of Pudong in which we decided to wear Pajamas.

I think these spell out what running and training is like in Shanghai…..it's all kinds of amazing.

No comments: