Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Myth is real…

I’ve been MIA from my blog for a few weeks now. I’ve recently discovered that the mythical “China Hours” do exist. You see, prior to coming to Shanghai, several of my peers mentioned that it was going to be Archi-torture working in China. I mean, Architects as a norm already work a minimum of a 60 hour work week. In China those kinds of hours are supposedly a walk in the park.

Well 10 months into living and working here, I thought I was working for the County of LA. Hell, it was easier than that. It seemed like I was on a 10 month vacation. As our company was trying to figure it out how to define ourselves in Asia there was nothing I could do but go to Moet Chandon Launch parties, fashion shows, Salvatore Ferragamo Anniversary parties and the like. It was a sweet life.

Then one day…BAM! China Hours! Our company gets its shit together and all of a sudden I find myself in some second tier city 2 hours out of Shanghai drinking bie jiu and eating some weird stuff with the Mayor and his cronies, sitting in meetings with Chinese government officials and yelling at the foreman on the job site in English while he looks at me with a blank stare.

One and a half months goes by without a day off and the only way I can swing it is by rupturing my Achilles tendon!

Oh the humanity….the myth is real….the next year is going to be fun..fun..fun…

No comments: