Friday, July 4, 2008

When in Rome….

The old adage goes something like this: “ when in Rome do as the Romans do”. Well what do you do if the Romans are rude and impolite? Should I become rude and impolite? This is an open call for your opinion.

I was taking the bus home the other day and I scored a good seat again (as I mentioned in a previous blog, good luck on catching a cab on a rainy day in Shanghai. Odds on accomplishing that are as good as finding an empty lane on the 405 freeway in LA at 4:00 Friday afternoon). As the bus filled up there where a few ladies that were standing that I should have given my seat up to. I normally do, but in the past it’s led to either other men taking my seat as I stood up to offer it to a lady or having some ungrateful bitch push me aside as I motion to her that I want to give my seat to her.

There in lies the dilemma. Do I stick to my own personal values and look like a weak dumb foreigner and get made fun of when I politely open doors and give up my seat to ungrateful unappreciative self-consumed people or do I shut the rest of the world out with my iPod and go on my merry way with only me as my only concern like the rest of the “Romans”?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

i recommend you offer them some dog BQ and that should welcome you into the circle.

Larry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Larry said...

...do as the Roman do.

victor pete maningo said...

Uncle, as usual you are filled with "Solomonic Wisdom" or is that just stawberry cream filling...?

admin said...

Do as the Romans do and suffer no guilt from it. You know and we know that you're a total gentlemen. Who cares what THEY think? They certainly don't care what you think! ;) -- Garmen

Ernie D said...

Hey Son (in law),
I say: "when in Rome, do as the Romans do!"