Monday, April 28, 2008

The Accidental Asian(s) in reverse

Before I start this blog I would like to give credit where credit is due. I've been tossing around a lot of different titles for a blog and I ended up being drawn to the "The Accidental Asian" which is the title of a book by Eric Liu that describes his life as a ABC Chinese struggling with his cultural identity. Although I can somewhat relate to the experiences that the author writes about, my experiences begin in reverse. What I mean by that is that my ambivalence of culture and self identity recently came to the forefront of my consciousness not as a child but as a "formed" adult and not in the US but just recently in China.

A little background on me to put everything in context:

I am of Filipino descent but was born in Oshogbo, Nigeria, raised in Mano River, Liberia (until I was 13) and went to school in Los Angeles, California. My wife Christina is half Swiss/ German and half Korean who was conceived in Vietnam but was born and raised in California. We are both living and working in Shanghai, China and these are our adventures......

3 comments:

Jessica Nichols said...

Welcome to the blogosphere!

I am very happy about this progress. I am amazed to read you can post to your blog but not view it. Crazy!

SR said...

hey
well written
enjoyed readin ur blogs
but strange dat u urself cant view ur blog
anyways
kip up

JH said...

Vic, we were buddies in Mano many (emphasis on many) years ago. Looks like we just missed each other - I live in California now and you've moved to China. Drop me an email, my address is in my profile.